At each Athena Executive Club meeting we hold Business Development Training. These short sessions are designed to share useful tips, facts and ideas covering a wide range of issues relevant to executives and entrepreneurs. Athena Executive Members come from a diverse variety of backgrounds with an immense wealth of knowledge and experience which we all benefit from during these member-led training sessions.
Lara Kanga (PR Consultant, Video Producer and Athena Network Singapore Regional Manager) led the topic on writing and distributing press releases for businesses.
What is a press release?
A newsworthy, timebound announcement (e.g. company merger, product launch).
When writing a press release:
- The title should tell the whole story
- Use sub headings (journalists will not read everything)
- Include the date, time and venue (if an event)
- The first two sentences should include all relevant information (who, what, when, where, why and how)
- Be precise and only include vital information
- Avoid flowery or over complicated language
- Your logo should appear on the top left of the document
- Include contact details at the end
- Include a relevant photo underneath the title
- Fact check (and double check) everything
Your press release should address the following areas:
- What are you launching / promoting?
- What is my unique selling proposition (USP)?
- Why should a journalist profile you?
- How are you different to everyone else? (Are you the first, most awarded etc.)
When distributing your press release:
- Determine a long-term media campaign (it can sometimes take 3 months to get published, often longer)
- Research the media – what is relevant and current and where do you fit?
- Email journalists (but don’t expect an instant response, you may never get one)
- Cold calling publications works – with the right preparation
- Your pitch to the journalist should be possible within 30 seconds (they’re busy people)
- Don’t be discouraged by rejection (it happens a lot)
These quick tips provide a fantastic insight for business owners working on their PR and media campaigns. Thank you Lara!
If you would like an invitation to attend an Athena Executive Club meeting, please contact us.