A fantastic part of each Athena Executive Club meeting is the Networking Skills Training. These are short sessions aimed at providing quick tips and take aways for members and visitors to maximise their networking activities.
In May, Gina provided some excellent tips on how to get to know fellow networkers to ensure you can benefit from the connection.
The strength of your networking success depends on your ability to:
- Create connections
- Convert connections into word of mouth marketing (people do business with people they know, like and trust).
Before attending a networking event:
- Look at the attendee list (if available) for names, companies and professions
- Check out websites, LinkedIn and Twitter profiles of people you would like to connect with at the event (introducing yourself before the event can really help to break the ice on the day)
Build relationships by:
- Attending events, informal gatherings, parties, etc which are relevant to your business
- Meet and greet fellow networkers with enthusiasm
- Exchange business cards
- Follow up with key contacts (email, phone, social media etc)
For ‘next level’ networking:
- Attend more structured events (e.g. Athena Executive Club)
- Organise 1:1 meetings and spend 30 minutes each explaining your business and how the other person can help you
- Attend each other’s events where possible and support fellow networkers
Fitting networking into your routine:
- Prioritise events according to your business aims – be strategic
- Lose the guilt – you cannot attend everyone’s event
- Be fair – reciprocate the support received from fellow networkers
- Be realistic about your expectations from events (do you know why you attend them?)
- Be authentic
Each month we focus on a different aspect of networking and how it can support our business growth.