When social media extraordinaire Christel Quek is giving a talk, you know you have to be there for the most up to date information, insights and techniques to enhance your personal brand online.
Christel knows a thing or two about online content – basically what she doesn’t know really isn’t worth knowing. So we were delighted when she agreed to give a presentation at the WEoW Program networking dinner in August to perfectly accompany the training topic of developing online content to drive your business.
“Content marketing is the proof you are a rock star!”
Christel’s values to abide by
- Who are you writing for? You need to cater to the audience you want to attract in your writing.
- Identify influencers in a particular area
- Aggressively understand (i.e. stalk) their reading preferences
- Determine what content they’ll read consistently
- Let them pay attention to your content
- Ideally your audience should move beyond your headline, be inspired and have a positive reaction which leads them to share on social media
Relevance. Resonance. Reach.
- What are the objectives of your content production?
- What is the angle of your content?
- What is the tone and voice you are using?
- Never sell. People respond better to useful information which adds value to them and builds their trust.
- Don’t delegate the content creation to just anyone. It needs to be guided from the top and in line with your overall business objectives
- Google Trends and Google News are fantastic sources of inspiration.
- Headlines – 8 out of 10 people read your headline. Only 2 out of 10 will read the rest of your copy.
- Remember the 4 U’s – Useful. Unique. Urgency. Ultra specific.
- 95% of the top 100 greatest advertisements ever written are in 8 words or fewer!
Editorial Calendars (why are they so important?)
- To foster discipline for regular posting
- Encourages structure and consistency
- Helps you to set goals
- 95% of blogs are abandoned within 120 days
- 60%-80% of blogs are abandoned within the first month
Promote & Conquer
- Use 100 characters or fewer to maximise amplification
- Use #effectively! #Do not #hashtag #every #single #word!
- Create boards according to different categories and include links back to your blog or website
- Be interesting and creative
- Post content in different groups but customise accordingly
Something we often leave out which is a big mistake. Otherwise, how will we know what we have done is working?
- You can’t measure what you didn’t track
- Use Google Analytics to track your progress easily
Who is Christel?
Aka Ladyxtel, Christel Quek is the Global Social Marketing Manager for Havas Media working on high profile accounts for clients such as KLM Airlines, Toshiba Digital, Intel and DBS Bank Singapore. Prior to this, Christel was the Community Manager for SocialEyes Inc. a diverse Silicon Valley start up.
Christel is a regular contributor to The Huffington Post with focussed pieces on tech, women and business issues and has been featured in Her World magazine’s Women Now column. She has also been quoted on WARC and Yahoo!Singapore as well as featuring on the #TwitterPowerhouses series on the Huffington Post. Christel currently has over 13,500 Twitter followers and performs training sessions and presentations to leaders on the impact of social media on brand awareness campaigns.
Connect with Christel: