A fantastic part of each Athena Executive Club meeting is the Networking Skills Training. These are short sessions aimed at providing quick tips and techniques for members and visitors to maximise their networking activities.
In April, we were delighted to welcome Irene Chan, Corporate Sales Manager at LinkedIn Asia-Pacific to talk to us about the use of this ever evolving social media platform.
Here are her top tips:
- Brand yourself – have a great picture
- Tell your story (and ask yourself, would you want to work for you?)
- Use a LinkedIn company page (they are free but you will need to be different to stand out from the 2 million other company pages)
- Showcase your company’s voice – add a banner
- Become an expert in your field – join groups and participate
- Build an online brand – use your status updates with connections
- Ask for (and give) recommendations
- Ensure your company page is within your follower’s ecosystem
- Engage with customers and your community
- Roll out the red carpet by using LinkedIn Corporate Solutions
LinkedIn facts you might not know…
- There are 200 million worldwide LinkedIn users – that’s 3 new members every minute
- In Asia Pacific there are 38 million LinkedIn users. In Singapore alone there are 1 million
- In Singapore, LinkedIn started with just 6 employees in 2011.There are now over 80 and still growing!
Top reasons people use LinkedIn….
- Research people
- Build connections
- Find a new job / employee
- Showcase knowledge and gain influence
- Give and obtain recommendations
- Marketing a business
- Form partnerships
- Find investors
- Engage with customers and clients
About Irene Chan
Irene started her career as a Business Account Manager in Hewlett Packard and, despite no background in IT, she quickly learnt the ropes and began to enjoy the fast pace and ever-changing industry.
After 7 years in the IT industry, Irene decided it was time for something different where she could use her people skills whilst leveraging the technical experience she had gained; so she became a head hunter for the IT Industry and later a Consultant for Hudson.
Since joining LinkedIn in 2012, Irene has followed her passion for helping individuals to take charge of their career or business and elevate it to the next level. She is extremely proud to be a part of LinkedIn; a platform that is challenging the methods of traditional recruitment across the globe.
Connect with Irene on LinkedIn.